Tuesday, June 28, 2011


Dwight Dissinger e-mailed his thanks for the mention of his mom’s birthday although I had increased her age by two years . . . Had a nice but brief visit with Jean Gerhart while we sat waiting for our scans at Harrisburg Hospital this morning. Jean is now 85 and had a flower shop in the area of 13th and Market many years ago. The building has since been torn down. We recalled what a lovely neighborhood the area was fifty years ago . . . The Hill Market where farmers sold their produce and Winters’ Display House where I bought seasonal decorations for those early days of The Bare Wall. (As fate would have it the Winters’ daughter, Nan, was in my class at Juniata College—long before I ever contemplated a move to Harrisburg, let alone having a shop here.) There were many other shops near that intersection and the area thrived . . . My scan turned out to be highly unsatisfactory but inconclusive, so another more intense scan is called for . . . Was leaving the hospital when Bob and I encountered Irene Abele of Lemoyne in the lobby. She volunteers there every Tuesday morning. She and her late husband, Nick, have patronized the shop for years and years . . . Happy birthday to Chris Zeigler . . . One person e-mailed me to say that he knew the owner of Timber Trails but had never been there. Said he couldn’t believe that such a quiet lady had this secret side . . . I have mentioned the Stoney Creek Inn in Dauphin many times but, though filled with good intentions, Bob and I have never been there. So when Robert Murray posted this picture on his Facebook page I immediately snatched it for the blog. Hope Bob approves . . . Diane Neiper e-mailed to say that her father, who worked for a Scranton bakery, actually delivered cookies to the nudist resort in Palmerton when she was just a toddler. “He always had fun telling the stories of his experiences,” Diane writes . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment