Monday, March 15, 2010




Bob has his say . . .

I never thought much about being a father. I associated fatherhood with a great deal of responsibility, disruptions and messes. Then I became a godfather--the best of all positions . . . I get to see the kid grow and learn without the responsibility involved, from the eating paper stage to the point now at four years old where JJ has begun to reason. ("No" is not enough because the next question is "why.") . . . I can be his pal and sneak him that ninth piece of candy and Mom and Dad must put up with the hyperactivity and the "I'm full" at dinner . . . I get the privilege of being taken by the hand amid a houseful of guests at his birthday party to show me his special Mario and Luigi birthday cake. I get to hear the "Bye, guys" yelled from the car window as he heads home with pockets crammed with goodies which he has promised not to eat until after dinner or "until we get to the bridge." . . . I know that as he grows older we will not share this physical closeness--that's the way things are--but my life has been greatly enriched by my godson . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment