Tuesday, October 4, 2011

A TERRIBLE LOSS
Bob and I were saddened to learn this morning that our close friend Jon Carfagno had passed away overnight. I was devastated, actually. Jon was my confidant who shared all my secrets for years; we talked on the phone a couple of times a week. He always was there for me with marvelous advice--although I didn't always follow it . . . We had met under peculiar circumstances maybe fifteen years ago. There was a motor accident on Briggs Street one night and a large pickup truck was damaged. It was clearly not driveable. The policeman wanted to leave the info on the windshield but I said that whoever owned it would come in the morning expecting to go to work; if the cop would give me the address I would go talk to the owner. That led me to Jon's companion, Larry Kirkhuff, and I gave him the bad news . . . Jon was well known to everyone throughout the neighborhood, but possibly not by name. He and Larry had a beautiful dog, Bear, who we in the area adopted as our mascot. Everyone loved Bear and a few of us even noticed that there was a young chap on the other end of the leash--Jon. Bear lived for a dozen years and passed away about three years ago . . . Every voter in our ward got to see Jon at least twice a year since he ran the balloting at St. Michael's Church . . . This will be a difficult loss for many of us. Jon will be hard to replace in our lives . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment