Friday, October 28, 2011


A belated happy birthday to Ann Duncan of Beavercreek, Ohio. I missed it by two days Ann always comes shopping at The Bare Wall when visiting her parents, Yvonne and Wes Brown, in Mechanicsburg . . . Today was my day at the hospital and in general it went well. It is practically my second home these days and I was pleased and surprised at the number of nurses and other personnel who greeted me by name. The stent to the kidney was repaired without having to go in through my back and it was performed by Dr. Edwards, my first encounter with him. At our initial interview he noticed I was working English Cryptic Puzzles from The Daily Telegraph; he raised an eyebrow and began to speak and it was immediately evident that he was a Brit. From the Lake District, it turns out, and since I am an Anglophile of sorts we had a jolly long-winded conversation that probably put the hospital schedule a half hour behind . . . All this was followed by the bad news. I came home starved and gulped the salad Bob had waiting for me. Looking for a sweet to compliment it, my eye fell on the aforementioned caramel popcorn. Seconds later I bit down on an unpopped kernel and broke a tooth off my dental plate. Hasten in to talk with a good-looking Hillbilly . . . Snow is predicted for tomorrow so Bob brought up the shovels in the hopes that they would scare it off . . . I am promoting this cookbook for holiday giving. It has recipes but is really a history of American food through the 1900s. It tells when some of our basic dishes were first introduced and what and when kitchen appliances were introduced. It is a wonderful compliment to the other two histories of the century that I told you about earlier--Christmas Memories and Twentieth Century Memories . .

No comments:

Post a Comment