Friday, November 18, 2011


Spent the whole night hacking away. There were times when I was sure I was dying and other times that I wished I was. Poor Bob got almost no sleep at all despite the fact that our rooms are at opposite ends of the house. Bob was sure that there must be a magic elixir to shut me up so he forced some Cherry Herring on me; hadn't had that since this sixties or seventies. Well, it was tasty but it didn't work . . . I opened this morning and was happy to see Larry Valerio who popped in for a couple of boxes of mints . . . Once Bob arrived I went to bed and slept for four hours while he sold up a storm; thanks to all you patrons . . . These medicines and our brains work in wondrous ways. All afternoon I dreamed of Occupy Harrisburg storming the GOP offices in the Capitol and making quite a mess to protest the idiotic reapportionment that has been proposed. So I was amazed to learn when I awoke that the group had indeed protested at the hearing on the hill the afternoon. They were a lot more gentle than I had pictured in my dream, however . . . And then I learned that the mayor had evicted them from their encampment in River Park. Pat Buchanan says the Occupy movement will end badly . . . I am thinking that a good riot might not be lost on the politicians, but I am too old to carry a sign. Haven't done that since I picketed Nixon back in '54 or so . . . A few years back a growing church in need of greater space tried to buy this well maintained but abandoned building. The city refused to sell, saying they were keeping it to be used as an adjunct to the Fire Museum. Well, quite obviously that plan did not work out and now it is a blight on the neighborhood . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment