Monday, August 1, 2011

My walk most mornings takes me up or across Muench Street. I hope there is a history buff out there who can tell us how “Muench” came to be pronounced Minnick. Dr. Bob Coldren thinks it has to be related to immigrants from Germany in some way . . . Chris came through his painful but successful facial surgery and is now resting at home. He assures us he will be just as handsome as he always was once the swelling subsides . . . nice visit with Jacquie Kirby Hensel this afternoon . . . Need to say a “thank you” to all who continue to send me messages of encouragement--Barbara Allen locally and Joanne Miller in Williamsport are the latest. You have all helped to sustain me through these difficult times and your acts of kindness are most appreciated . . . Talked with my gal in Maine this morning and another shipment of handcrafted bells will be on the way to us within hours . . . My morning travels take me up side streets and down main avenues, and I am fascinated by the fact that, judging from the architecture, we must have had a little corner grocery on just about every block or two. I wonder how they managed to exist on so few sales. Perhaps I am in error and not all sold groceries; I suppose some might have been tailor shops, purveyors of hardware and the like . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment