Saturday, October 23, 2010


It is now 7:30 p.m. October 23rd, so I am officially 74 years old. I was born in the Everett (Pa) Hospital which is now the Grace Brethren Bible School (Hmmm). When Mom was asked what my name would be she said that none had been chosen. The nurses put their heads together and decided I would be Ronald (for English movie star Ronald Colman, heart throb of the day) and Carl (my dad). I would become "Ronn" in 1957 when I ran for Juniata College Student Senate and a poster-maker named Roger Bennett added the extra "n" to "balance" the lettering . . . The big headline on October 23, 1936, touted a new passenger train speed record set between Chicago and Denver. A loaf of bread was eight cents. You could have bought a car (Studebaker) for $665 or a new house for $3,925. Gas was ten cents a gallon . . . Had a great time celebrating today. Visits from friends bearing goodies, FaceBook and e-mail greetings, cards, some surprise gifts and a wonderful beef dinner that Bob prepared . . . My thanks to everyone . . . One benefit of being old is the fact that you can use it as an excuse for all your shortcomings . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment