Thursday, May 27, 2010


Our friend and retired school teacher Jack Brandt has just finished a course in ceramics at HACC. He is full of enthusiasm for the experience and encourages anyone with an interest to check out the college's possibilities. His several works range from the standard mugs and tumblers to several very creative pieces. I am featuring one that I especially like. Sleek design, don't you think? It is from his private collection . . . I am surprised to learn that there are so many trainspotting enthusiasts in our neck of the woods. There are dozens and dozens of local videos available on http://www.youtube.com/. Just type in trains, Harrisburg, Pa and you will get hours of footage. Now, to be honest, watching a freight train passing by for five minutes won't set your heart aflutter unless you are an aficionado, but the trip across Rockville Bridge with views both up and down the river was interesting. (You can ride all the way up-river to Taylor though I don't know where that is, but we did pass the PPL Corp's nuclear power plant on the Susquehanna if I am not mistaken.) But, as I told you before, real trains "smoke" according to JJ, so most of these don't qualify and we would be back to Kipper cartoons in no time, I fear . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment