Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Long-time readers will know that I am a die-hard fan of Susan Boyle, the Scots singer who lost the Britain's Got Talent competition but conquered the world; her first album was the champion CD seller of last year. Well, I am happy to report that all is well with Susan. She has been invited to sing prior to and during the Pope's mass in Glasgow later this year. Last week it was announced that Susan would soon start to record a second CD due for release in November; she has yet to sing a note but Amazon.com already has over two million pre-orders for the disc . . . The three rose bushes in the center of Forster Street near Third have begun to bloom; they will continue to do so well into November. I presume these were planted by the Harrisburg Young Professionals. If so I urge them to plant still more of these bushes. Wish the center island were lush with them, they are so pretty . . . I am hoping to sell a couple of Lucille's silk scarves this week ($36). I want every one's Mom to be happy come Sunday . . .

The Finger

I was never a fan of super heroes when I was a kid. Superman and Wonder Woman performed too many incredible but unbelievable feats. I was amused however by the campy Batman TV series: POW! SHA-ZAM! . . . Now that I am much older, I sometimes fantasize about being a super colossal hero myself. I call myself Laser Finger, and all I need do is point to something that irritates me; like Harry Potter with his magic wand I eliminate the source of aggravation and I am again my calm and likeable self . . . my first target would be blaring car radios. Does my finger simply shut it off or do I give the driver a flat tire? Maybe I transport him to Death Valley and hope he doesn’t find his way back . . . My finger would render speechless those late night screamers who pass through the neighborhood but I have yet to determine the length of their sentence; if I give them voice too quickly the people in the next block will suffer . . . Summer’s boom boxes laced to bicycles have not yet appeared, but my finger is itching to do some demolition work on them . . . I wish the Laser Finger had worked just a few weeks ago. An obese young mother came charging up Green Street followed a half a block later by a sobbing two or three year old whose little legs could not keep up the pace. Rather than sympathize, the mother kept screaming back at the child with all the four-letter words in her vocabulary. (Well, to be honest, she only had one, and that started with an “f”.) I haven’t yet settled on her punishment, but I assure you it will be severe . . . Being a super hero is not always as easy as it appears . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment