Wednesday, December 8, 2010


Cold and promising to get colder after a weekend warm-up. When I joked a few days ago that Alan in Palm Springs would have to look elsewhere for a shipment of snow he informed me that he can see snow caps from his home and in 20 minutes he can tram up the mountain to all the snow he could possibly want . . . It was nice to see Peggy and Charlie Schenck today. They have been in and out of the area all summer . . . The kid amazed both Bob and me this afternoon when he sat behind the checkout counter and wrote down every number from one to 109. And he can count backwards, too. And, most important, he can tell you exactly how many days there are till Christmas . . . The season does bring back childhood memories. My grandfather was a coal miner with a two-tiered round aluminum lunch bucket. I would greet him every evening and sort through the leavings; there was always a little pie or cupcake left over for me. It was years before I realized that grandpa hadn't saved it for me. Rather, grandma always packed something extra for me to find. Today, JJ has a magic jacket. Every night when he slips on his coat he finds that a Tootsie Roll has mysteriously appeared in each pocket. The smile that forms on his face is precious . . . These charming Woodland Santas are just $22.00 each and the big gold-tipped bottle brush trees are $30.00 for the set of four . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment