Sunday, September 18, 2011

What a glorious day! Gallery Walk may have had to delay a week because of flooding but Mother Nature certainly made up for all her recent fickleness. We enjoyed our annual visit with Tucker and Gladys Hill. They have been stopping by during the Walk for the last five years or so . . . It is obvious to faithful readers that we dote on JJ; we give him every encouragement even when his effort may not rate an A-plus. We want him to know that he is loved. However, I do try to be fair when I make my reports here, so I hope I am not being disloyal when I write that, much as I enjoyed his work on the soccer field, it was evident to me that the girls on his squad were definitely better than the boys . . . I spotted this curiosity on the 200 block of Harris Street some time ago, and I am hopeful that someone out there can enlighten us as to how it came about. You may have to click on the picture and enlarge it to see what I am talking about: the house on the right is decorated with a cross at the top of its facade while the house on the left features a star of David. We wonder why these religious symbols were placed here. Were they religious institutions at one time? Were residents simply announcing their religious preference? Or are these nothing but decoration at the whim of the builder? The two buildings between these have no similar decorations, as you can see. If anyone can shed any light on this, please let me know. E-mail address on the left . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment