Friday, September 4, 2009

This is the undated postcard photo that I promised a few days ago. We need an historian like Ken Frew or Linda Ries to analyze it for us. North Street is to the left and Second Street runs more or less diagonally from lower left to center right. The obelisk (now on Division Street near Italian Lake) still sits in the middle of State Street. The cupola on the building bottom center is for the fire bell at Hope Station; it was later removed. The Gannett-Fleming Building next door has not yet made an appearance; (the firm was founded in 1915). The Capitol was dedicated in 1906. IF the brown building on the extreme right where Strawberry Square now stands is the Grand Opera House, we know it was destroyed by fire in 1907. (Somehow I don't think it is.) St. Michael's, St. Pat's and Grace Methodist are easy to spot along State Street. As for the rest, we can still recognize several structures. The city was certainly lush with trees back then. Curious, huh? . . . Tom Leonard reminds me that if I hope to benefit from the discount on school taxes, the bill must be paid by next Wednesday. Don't think I have enough pennies in my piggy, but I will count . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment