Monday, August 2, 2010


For we old folks and long-time residents of Harrisburg, the passing of Rita Wambach this weekend marks the end of an era. It is a stone in the heart. One cannot write enough of her goodness, generosity and warmth. She was a friend to everyone she met . . . She was a daily bright spot during my years at the State Library since she worked at a desk just a few feet from my own. She always had time to share my successes and to commiserate when the event warranted. I was privileged to be a guest at her table on several occasions when late husband Pete presided over a dozen kids or more; Rita fluttered about refilling our plates and waited until we were finished before feeding herself . . . I was close friends with twin sons Peter and Paul and with daughter Rita though all of the Wambach clan entered my life at one time or another. So many memories; I could write on for hours. My condolences to the family and--yes--to the whole city of Harrisburg. We all have lost an irreplaceable force in our community . . . This spring Felix and Sabrina scattered flower seeds they had acquired at school. Only a few of them sprouted but, boy, what a sensation the sunflowers became. We wonder how they have survived the various storms since the flower box is less than a foot deep--but onward and upward. Fortunately the vandals have passed them by. However, both plants (Bob has named them Sabrina and Felix) are now bursting with bloom and we all realize that the weight of the flower could bend them in half. I will keep you posted on these marvels . . . (And I am purposely not saying just exactly where they are. Click the picture to enlarge) . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment