Saturday, August 29, 2009


This postcard has appeared on Eric's site some time ago, but for those of you who missed it I am repeating it here. This is our neighborhood in 1915. (Click to enlarge) The street on the right is North Street looking east. To get your bearings, I have marked The Bare Wall with a yellow-outlined red square. You can see Jack and Bob's yellow house, our neighborhood landmark, just across the street. Briggs Street cuts diagonally across the card from the lower left. The big building in the back was a high school, I am told, and the large building to its left (where the Liquor Control Board now stands) may have been Fink's Brewery (no relation). The Bare Wall block bounded by North, Green, Briggs and Prince Street (once Love Alley; I wonder why?) is the only one still intact in the downtown area. In the 1960s the city had planned to destroy at least one of the structures so that the yards within could be used for public parking. You can't imagine the outcry! I wonder if this picture was taken on a Monday; all the yards appear to be strewn with laundry drying on the line . . . I have another undated card showing the area just to the south and including the Capitol which I will post later.

No comments:

Post a Comment