Sunday, August 9, 2009

Monday is to be a bad "air" day; old fogies like Bob and me are to stay inside and avoid exertion. Okay by me . . . thought I would say a few words about the sleek, ultra-modern hotel at State and Second--it anchors the northern end of Restaurant Row and enhances 'La Grande Allee' leading to the Capitol. Seems like months since the big fight about the razing of some historic though derelict buildings for this project and an eventual moderating of the design to be more compatible with the surrounding environment. . . Okay, so economic conditions have scuttled those plans (temporarily we hope) and there ain't no hotel. But, folks, this is a key intersection, especially for tourists. The least we could ask is for the weeds to be uprooted and the trash to be cleared. This is a major center city eyesore. Click on the picture if you don't believe me. . . And I guess I should admit that my "undercover investigation" was compromised when Ned Hoffner came by on his way to his job at the hospital and caught me in the act . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment