Friday, October 9, 2009

I may "do lunch" but I usually don't "do politics." However, we all make exceptions occasionally, and today is my day . . . I was very impressed with the Thursday entry on Eric's blog (see link to the left). It was the first sensible discussion of the mayoralty campaign that I have encountered. We could use a lot more information of this kind from both candidates. Thompson's proclaimed presumption that she is already elected was a major gaffe; we may actually have a contest here . . . My memory may be faulty, but I think that back in the '50s nothing was certain when it came to elections. People were not the sheep they seem to be today; neither were those elected. Proposed laws were in doubt until the actual vote. There were parties of course but not the "block voting" like today that leaves the state without a budget for 100 days . . . And voters also were thinkers, preferring their party candidate but rebelling when a better person emerged on the other side of the ticket . . . Oh, well, we will all have the chance to have our say in November . . . The candidates have been invited to a Town Hall meeting Tuesday at 7 p.m. at the Midtown Book Store and Mindlin will have a "meet and greet" session from 7:30-10 p.m. Thursday at the Strawberry Cafe . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment